The New Friends “Independent Visits” program is looking for volunteers in Kenosha, Wisconsin who would like to visit with nursing home residents. Below is a brief description of what to expect:
- After completing an application and brief phone interview, you will participate in a thorough training session. At that time, you will commit to twelve, one-hour visits in six months at a local nursing home.
- You will be assigned a nursing home and shadow a mentoring volunteer on visits until you are comfortable with visiting independently.
- Once you start visiting independently, you will set your own schedule and record your visits in a log provided by New Friends.
- You will be invited to attend regular gatherings where New Friends volunteers share experiences, support each other and discuss ways to improve the program.
- At the end of your initial twelve-visit commitment, you will meet with the program director to discuss your experiences, observations and suggestions. At this point, you can commit to another twelve visits and are able to mentor new volunteers.
- Throughout your entire experience as a volunteer, you will be encouraged to share your ideas and insights so that together we can make the New Friends “Independent Visits” program the best it can be.
If you are interested in joining the New Friends “Independent Visits” program, please complete the online Volunteer Application.
If you would like to learn more, please contact Kerry Andersen at 262-945-4872 or via email at NewFriendsVisits@GMail.com